Steven B. Harper
Computer Reseller (VAR) & Computer Technology Evangelist
Network Management Group, Inc. (NMGI)
324 East Fourth Street
Hutchinson, Kansas 67501
- Has been in computer reselling management since 1981. Opened 5 Computerland's, 3 Entre' Computer Centers, and currently co-owns and manages NMGI in Hutchinson, Ks.
- Served on the Board of Directors of: Central Kansas Credit Union, Reno County United Way, Kanza Council - Boy Scouts of America, and the Greater Hutchinson Chamber of Commerce.
- Delivers presentations and seminars on the use of technology and its affect on people.
- Manages the vendor contacts for NMGI with companies like: IBM, Compaq, Ingram Micro, Hewlett-Packard, 3Com, Novell, Cisco, Microsoft, Citrix, Lexmark, Toshiba, Mcafee and others.
- Spent 9 years in commercial banking as an officer in the operations, marketing, customer service, and finally the commercial loan division. Became a certified SBA commercial lender for the local bank now known as Bank of America as a result of mergers in that industry.
- Developed and installed the first remote ATM locations and the first with drive-up ATM capabilities in the state of Kansas.
- Chairman of the Reno County Planning and Zoning Commission - Hutchinson, Kansas
- Chairman of the Ingram Micro Dealer Advisory Council and "VentureTech Network" Previously an Advisory Council, Member of the Compaq Computer Corporation, Toshiba, IBM, Hewlett-Packard , McAfee, and 3Com - Small Business Advisory Councils.
- 1994 Metro Award Winner - Wichita, Ks - as president of the 14th fastest growing privately held company in the greater Wichita Area, 1993
- VentureTech Network - First Reseller "Hall of Fame - inductee" 2003
- Inducted into the CompTIA - Computer Industry "Hall of Fame" 2012
- American Bankers Association, Entre', Ingram Micro and Intelligent Electronics, Compaq PartnerVision, American Institute of Banking, and various local civic organizations.
- Topics include:
- "Putting Enthusiasm Back in Computer Reselling"
- "Business Use of the Internet"
- "Accept Responsibility for Yourself"
- BBA - Bachelors of Business Administration - Wichita State University 1973
- 30 Post Graduate hours at the American Institute of Banking
- Graduate "Intermediate School of Banking" Lincoln Nebraska 1976
- Born and raised in Hutchinson, Kansas USA
- Member "Who's Who Worldwide" and "Who's Who in the Computer Industry" 1991,1998
- Compaq Computer Corporation - Voice of Reason Award - 1994 & 1996
- Member of the "American Consultants League" - Certified Professional Consultant
- Member Park Place Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
- Certified Private Pilot - (not current)
- Eagle Scout, Order of the Arrow, and God & Country Awards - Boy Scouts of America
- Hobbies Include: Traveling with my wife Karen, Golf, Karaoke, barbecue cooking, and playing with our four grandchildren.
- Enjoy collecting Logo Golf Balls and Indianapolis 500 Racing Memorabilia
- Author of the book "Life's Lessons from DAD" co-author Patrick Flaherty
Steve enjoys all aspects of "The Computer Reseller" marketplace. He focuses his daily work on applying his management skills and talents to growing his own business. But given the chance, his extremely humorous look at the marketplace, makes him a sought after consultant and speaker from coast to coast.
Hewlett-Packard - SMB Division (usually Two Meetings per year)
ConnectWise (PSA) - Professional Services Automation Software
I have served in the past on the manufacturer advisory councils to: 3Com, Compaq, Novell, McAfee, Microsoft, Toshiba, IBM, etc. and still maintain contacts in those organizations.
In addition I've served on Distribution Advisory Councils for: ComputerLand, Entre Computers, Intelligent Electronics, and Ingram Micro.
Conferences/Events Attended each year:
Breakaway Conference - CompTIA Annual Technology conference
Exchange - CMP media event twice per year (Spring & Fall)
Ingram Micro VentureTech Network Invitational (Spring and Fall)
Ingram Micro VentureTech Network Regional Chapter Meetings (Winter and Summer)
OPDA (Office Product Dealers Association) Spring and Fall meetings (About 50 dealers)
Heartland Technology Group Meetings (Four Times per year ) Same 12 dealers each time)
ConnectWise Annual Partner Conference
CompTIA Managed Services Conference
Computer Technology Association - CompTIA - Headquartered in Chicago
Business Technology Associations (BTA) Headquartered in Kansas City
OPDA - Office Product Dealers Association - 50 dealers strong (Mostly members focused on managed products and services)
After all of this donated personal time not to mention locally: (Past Participation)
Board of Directors - Boy Scouts of America
Board of Directors - Hutchinson Chamber of Commerce
Board of Directors - Reno County Planning and Zoning -
Board of Directors - United Way of Reno County
Board of Directors - American Red Cross
Board of Directors - CompTIA (Computing Technology Industry Assn) - Chicago, IL
This level of involvement leaves me just barely have enough time to run my own reseller business in Hutchinson, Kansas! (A Total Solutions Provider) - Celebrating 25 Years in 2009.